Saturday, December 31, 2011

The end is near!

Well, the end of 2011 at least. Before my last official weekly post of 2011, I wanted to do a little "review" of favorite photos from 2011.

My "top 11" of 2011:

Number 11

Abram and his buddy, Evan, at the apple orchard. I love it because of the gorgeous light and how it is a combination of sweet and silly - just like 2-year old boys!
_MG_7273


Number 10:

Abram with his grandparents at Busch Stadium celebrating the World Series win. I love it because all 3 look so happy and I just don't get many photos of my parents.
_MG_8438

Number 9:
A macro photo I took at the Missouri Botanical Garden. I love it because it is rare that a photo without a human subject gives me a certain feeling... and it never happens with my own photos. But here I feel like the flower is yearning and so close to reaching and grabbing the light. Totally weird? Maybe just a little too artsy for my norm? Maybe!
_MG_2535

Number 8:
Abram jumping in a puddle. I love it because I could have never taken a picture like this if I hadn't put in time to learn how to use my camera, and Abram's spiked hair and nerd shirt were too adorable not to repost!
_MG_2178

Number 7:
Fireworks. This is one of those things that I always wondered how the heck photographers got the pics to look so perfect. All it took was a little research online for settings, a remote for my camera, and a black piece of paper! I love it because it wouldn't be very impressive if you knew how simple it was!

_MG_3403

Number 6:
Colorado. I love it because it was my first attempt at landscape/ scenery photos after learning what you are supposed to think about when photographing landscapes. It is more than just taking a picture of a pretty scene when you spot it! By no means perfect, but I remember putting in so much thought about just where to set up, what angle to take it from, how the fence would run through the photo, what would be in focus, if the sky would be blue and the clouds would be white, how to expose, etc., etc.
_MG_3605b


Number 5:

Sleeping in bokeh. I love how Abram looks when he is sleeping. Still a bit like a baby. Plus it worked out great for the Christmas card design I had in mind.
back_card2

Number 4:
My wild thing! I love how excited Abram was to be Max (he pronounced it "Mox" no matter how many times we tried to correct him). I think he played the part perfectly. And this is a cheat because it is not one photo, but a storyboard of three.
collage_1


Number 3:
Snowflake macro. I love the amazing things you can capture with photographs. If you haven't heard of Snowflake Bentley, the story of how he was the first to photograph snowflakes is very interesting. It took him two winters to figure out the correct aperture and shutter speed settings so his photographs would turn out! So glad I don't have to develop film to know if my photos turn out because I don't have that kind of persistence.
_MG_6877


Number 2:

Starry sky. This one did take some persistence! While on our vacation, I was disappointed each night as the clouds rolled in to cover the night sky. On my last night, I had to wake several times throughout the night and finally near dawn decided that a mostly clear sky would just have to do! Taking one photo took around 10 minutes, and with the sun rising I knew I would have to get it right quickly... plus it was around 30 degrees, and I was a little afraid of encountering wildlife!
_MG_4187

Number 1:
Cousins! Just a simple shot of Abram with his cousins. I love it because it is rare to get all three of them together. I know I love looking through old family photographs and seeing pictures of my cousins and myself, so I hope someday these three will be together again to look back and remember.
_MG_9952

No comments: